Topics covered in this course include:
· Overview of contaminant issues that impair water quality.
· Scenarios where use of a contaminant trackdown study can help development of solutions for impaired waters or contaminated effluents.
· Key issues in selection of appropriate tracers to target key contaminants, such as nutrients, pathogens, heavy metals and PCBs.
· Trackdown approaches that include use of characteristics inherent in the contaminants of concern, co-occurring contaminants, GIS, or intentional injection of non-toxic tracers.
· Critical aspects of contaminant trackdown studies, including correlation of tracer and contaminant transport and fate, sampling frequency and spatial distribution, and data analysis and constraints.
· Case studies and examples of real-world problems will be included throughout the course.
· Three breakout sessions will be included to provide hands-on exercises for participants.